Is My Organization Safe?
In the wake of recent cyber security attacks, such as the Equifax breach, the Defray ransomware attack, the BlueBorne malware attack, I’ve been receiving many questions on how to “stay safe.” The short answer unfortunately there is no way to be 100% secure from cyber security threats – more on this next time.
However, it is important to understand the “must haves” in any environment to help minimize attack from hackers.
Follow these security tips to stay safe:
- Reliable Back Ups: Reliable backups are extremely important. Be sure to backup and secure all your data. Recent history shows that without a proven tested backup your organization would be in serious jeopardy. There are many options for backup solutions, and Winxnet has a very strong recommended solution.
- Security Training:It’s paramount that your organization provide frequent training sessions for employees. This training will improve security culture and reduce the probability of successful attacks.
- Update Your Devices: Mobile devices, applications, MS Windows and network equipment should be updated frequently. Make your life easier when possible and set auto updates so you don’t have to worry about manually updating.
- Antivirus: There is no excuse for not having antivirus, it is imperative that your organization utilize an antivirus tool to minimize risk. Winxnet has recommended tools and solutions for various levels.
- Egress Filtering: Filtering can be cheap or expensive depending on the level you choose. All organizations should at least have the basic level of filtering. You can set company-wide filters so your employees aren’t able to access malicious sites.
- Secure Your Login Credentials: Compromised login information is still high on the breach cause list. Utilize strong authentication tools strong and unique credentials for your different banking, credit cards or other sites with your personal information. See a previous blog post I wrote on password management.
These are just a few things you can do to stay more secure. If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Managed Security Services experts.