Top Ways To Keep Your Email Secure
Recently an article was published in Healthcare IT News stating that 68 percent of healthcare organizations have compromised email credentials. This study conducted from Evovle IP (a cloud service provider) stated that of these compromised accounts, 76 percent included actionable password information for sale on the dark web. This study also stated that between 55 percent and 80 percent of organizations had compromised email accounts.
Why is this a concern? Verizon found that 63 percent of confirmed data breaches involved leveraging weak or stolen passwords. Verizon also stated that 93 percent of data breaches occurred within minutes and 83 percent weren’t discovered for weeks.
I’ve listed the top ways to keep your email secure:
- Enable Secure Connections: Whenever possible, configure your Internet connection to always use HTTPS. This “https” appears before the “www” and will show a locked icon.
- Ignore Unfamiliar Emails: Do no open unfamiliar emails. Do not click on any links that ask for personal or banking information. If you do, your computer could become infected by a virus and risks sensitive data stolen.
- Update Frequently: Install anti-virus, anti-spyware on your computer and firewall on your network and keep them updated. When applicable, set automated updates so you don’t have to remember to update.
- Change Passwords Every 90 Days: It’s imperative that you create strong and complex passwords that you change every 90 days. Consider utilizing password management tools such as LastPass or Dashline to help keep track of your passwords.
- Use a Private Network: A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a method used to add a level of security to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots. VPNs are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data.
These are just a few things your organization can do to help prevent your email from getting attacked. If you feel as though your business is not encouraging a culture of security, then it’s time for a serious conversation with our experts.